Guide to Making a Beautiful Game: Skyboxes in URP
Today, I will talk about how to setup Skyboxes in URP!
The 4 Kinds of Skyboxes
First, let’s talk about the different kinds of skyboxes in Unity.
This one is simple. It uses 6 different pictures to make a cube as your skybox.
While similar to the 6 Sided skybox, this only uses 1 picture with all 6 images in one sprite-map. This also helps with performance since it only reads 1 image.
This one also reads from one image but is typically a 3D image.
Procedural skyboxes do not need images. They come with a sun, day/night features, and grounds which can all be customized. This can also be linked to a directional light that the sun follows to simulate a day/night cycle!
Adding A Skybox
Adding a Skybox is the same in both SRP and URP. To get started, you will need to make a new material:
- If it is not there already, add a new folder to the Project tab and name it “Materials”.
- Add a new material to that folder and name it “Skybox_mat”.
- With the material selected, go to the Inspector tab.
- At the top where it says shader, click the dropdown tab.
- Go down to Skybox.
- Then select whatever kind of skybox you want!
- Now open the Lighting tab under the Window menu.
- Click the Environment tab.
- Beside Skybox Material, drag and drop the Skybox material in the box.
That is how to add a skybox to your scene!
Next time, I will talk about Lighting in URP!
Thank you for your time!